(I) Academic supporter: Architectural Society of China
(II) Sponsor: People’s Government of Weihai Municipality and Housing and Urban-Rural Construction Department of Shandong Province
(III) Undertaker: China Habitat Environment Prize Office, Weihai Municipal Housing and Urban & Rural Construction Bureau, Weihai State-owned Capital Operation Co., Ltd., Weihai Qidong Urban Brand Operation Co., Ltd.
(IV) Supporting organization: Shandong Land Development Group Co., Ltd.
Beautiful Village · Renewable Sea Plant House
(I) Design background: Due to the special geographical location and climatic factors of coastal area, since Wanli Period of Ming Dynasty when the village was established, the coastal residents in Jiaodong area have constructed the sea plant houses with the thick stone walls and the roofs made of dried large-leaf sea sedges. The large-leaf sea sedges used in the sea plant houses have been immersed with sea water, and contained a high content of salt so they are resistant to insects, mildew and rot, and uninflammable, and have such advantages as sound heat insulation, comfortable living and firmness so they are well appraised by local residents and still used today. Therein, in Xiaoxi Village in the planned area of Hutoujiao Ocean Art Town in Weihai, there are still more than 100 sea plant houses in good condition; almost all of them are the rural buildings with a history longer than 200 years, which have formed one unique sea plant house zone along coastline, coexisted harmoniously with natural environment, ecological environment and production and living conditions of people, and gathered the native factors of original ecology of traditional sea plant house zone in Weihai. Many visitors are attracted to rent the sea plant houses, or visited the village to enjoy folk customs, seafood and primitive fisherman’s family atmosphere of sea plant house and experience the feeling of living in the original fishing village. The unique cultural connotation and great exploration, development and use value of Xiaoxi Village, a sea plant village are emerging. The sea plant village has become one unique local tourism resource, and ranked in the 5th group of Chinese traditional villages.
(II) Design task: Reconstruct and update the current Xiaoxi Village in the planned area of Hutoujiao Ocean Art Town (Annex 1: Current status and plan drawings of position of Xiaoxi Village; Annex 2: Topographic map of land of Xiaoxi Village; Annex 3: General references for architectural design plan competition of Hutoujiao Ocean Art Town), and construct Xiaoxi Village as one important function of Hutoujiao Ocean Art Town, Weihai, including but not limited to folk custom experience, recreational tourism and artistic workshops. The competitors are expected to fully exert their imaginations and develop the relevant functions for concept and plan creation, and to submit two copies of A0-size design scheme in electronic form (for more detailed data, please contact the Builder – Shandong Lukun Haiyun Real Estate Co., Ltd.; contact person: Sun Yanlu at 0086-631- 7175070).
(III) Design keys: The competitors shall complete the concept creation and design with “Renewable Sea Plant House” as topic, bring forward their unique concepts for the characteristics and future use of sea plant houses, and present the following keys:
1. Protection of spatial arrangement and traditional features of sea plant house;
2. Control of construction materials, color, volume and form of sea plant house;
3. Inheritance and extension of outstanding coastal traditional culture and fisherman’s family folk culture;
4. Protective development and ordered use of traditional village;
5. Arrangement of infrastructures such as road traffic, water, electricity and health facilities.
(IV) Design function and scale:
1. Overall reconstruction and environmental improvement of village;
2. Protection, maintenance and innovative use of existing sea plant house;
3. Architectural innovation and function innovation of newly-built sea plant house;
4. The design scope is the construction scope of current Xiaoxi Village with land area of 2.34 ha.
Students of related domestic and foreign colleges and universities, who can be instructed by their teachers. The works can be signed by individuals or groups.
1. Works submitted for competition shall meet the following conditions:
(1) Meet the relevant national regulations, standards and provisions, and the compulsory provisions of national construction standards;
(2) Implement the applicable, economic, green and beautiful architectural policies, strive for science, respect for nature, and coordinate the building with environment, to reflect the regional culture and national features;
(3) Ensure the reasonable spatial arrangement and the inter-infiltration between indoor and outdoor environments;
(4) Make breakthroughs in energy saving, (including reasonable use of green energy), land saving, water saving and material saving, and fully reflect the design trend of modern green, environment-friendly and ecological building;
(5) Focus on application of new technologies and materials under the condition that the function requirements are met;
(6) Fully reflect the caring for the vulnerable groups, and comprehensively apply the barrier-free design;
(7) Make breakthroughs in solving of technical difficulties of the industry;
(8) Have the outstanding social, economic and environmental benefits.
2. The competitors shall carefully fill the competition application receipt (Annex 4: Application receipt for 2019 Weihai International Student Architectural Design Scheme Competition).
3. All the works submitted for competition will not be returned so the competitors shall reserve backups. The Organization Committee shall have the copyright of every work received.
1. The drawing board size shall be A0 (Annex 5: Design template for 2019 Weihai International Student Architectural Design Scheme Competition). The competitors shall submit two copies of A0-size design schemes in electronic form, take the name of submitted work as file name, and number the works in sequence. All the drawing boards will be made by the Sponsor. Neither registration fee nor making expense of display board is charged for this Competition.
2. The design scheme shall consist of general plan, elevation and section drawings and effect and analysis graphs reflecting the design concept fully as well as drawings necessary in the opinion of the author. The specific expression method is unlimited. The idea description within 1000 words shall be provided, which can be integrated with the drawings.
3. The competitors shall submit one copy of resume in electronic form, one 2’’ identification photo (300DPI). The resume shall contain name, sex, date of birth, native place, work unit, job, title and other information of competitor.
The works shall be evaluated by the evaluation committee consisting of domestic and foreign famous experts and scholars invited by the Sponsor. For the winning works, the Sponsor will offer bonuses and honor certificates.
Lukun Cup · 2019 National Undergraduate Architectural Design Plan Competition: 1 gold award with RMB 50,000 Yuan bonus; 2 silver awards with RMB 30,000 Yuan bonus each; 5 bronze awards with RMB 10,000 Yuan bonus each; 20 excellence awards with RMB 3,000 Yuan bonus each; 28 “Best Instructors” (just provided with honor certificate together with the award, not evaluated separately). All the above bonuses include taxes.
For the feasible excellent design, the Builder will deepen and apply the design scheme, and mark the winning individual or team on the building nameplate or at other position remarkably. The deepening of design scheme will be first entrusted to the winning individual or team, and the design expense incurred will be paid separately.
1. The application receipt shall be mailed to Weihai Qidong Urban Brand Operation Co., Ltd. before April 30, 2019.
2. The electronic-form design schemes of works for competition and the resumes and 2’’ identification photos of competitors shall be mailed to Weihai Qidong Urban Brand Operation Co., Ltd. before July 31, 2019.
Contact qq: 1463906702
Weihai Qidong Urban Brand Operation Co., Ltd. (application receiver)
Address: 264200, No. 53-19 North Haibin Road, Huancui District, Weihai City, Shandong Province, China
Contact person: Xu Qian
Contact phone: 0086-631-5351006
Contact qq: 1463906702
Shandong Lukun Haiyun Real Estate Co., Ltd. (project builder)
Address: 264300, Haiyun Resort, Gangxi Town, Rongcheng City, Shandong Province, China
Contact person: Sun Yanlu
Contact phone: 0086-631- 7175070
Housing and Urban-Rural Construction Department of Shandong Province
Contact phone: 0086-531-87080867, 87080865
Architectural Society of China
Contact phone: 0086-10-88082237, 88082227